Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Uncertainty... embrace it!!!

I recently came across a quote by one of the most successful motivational/inspirational speakers of our time... the great Anthony Robbins...  here it is,  "the quality of your life is in direct proportion to the amount of uncertainty you can comfortably deal with"...

It took a while to sink in... but if you can live with a great deal of uncertainty in your life, the likelihood of reaching your goals, dreams, desires increases exponentially!!!
I'm living proof - but it took a while for me to recognize this...   What does this have to do with change?  Well, we often don't change because change usually increases that level of uncertainty.  We all need a certain level of certainty in order to feel safe and function well.  Uncertainty usually increases fear which will then leads us to self-sabotaging thoughts and/or actions.  Then, our goals remain just beyond our reach!!
I left an abusive marriage of 16 yrs (beyond scary)... I went back to college at 41 to finish my BA and then I moved on to get my Master's degree.  Never planned on getting my master's but a series of life events pushed me there (however, I always had that desire in the back of my mind).  See how that works?  The intention was there and the universe brought it to me!!  I then decided to become a zumba (R) instructor after being a student for 1.5 yrs and loving every minute of it.  I now teach 4 classes per week. 

Sure, all of these changes were scary!!  But I always ask myself this question when faced with a change, "If I get to the end of my life and look back, would I regret NOT pursuing the change I want"?  If the answer came back to me as "yes", I threw caution to the wind and started moving towards that goal.  Don't get me wrong, I was scared, had 2nd and 3rd doubts, had other people tell me I was crazy, but I just started taking actions steps, and tried my best to not look back.  I can look back now and say that I'm totally glad that I took on the uncertainty of such major changes in my life.  It has made me a much stronger, confident, giving person.  It's getting easier and easier for me to embrace change rather than push it away.

I can also look back and realize that the opportunities were presented to me at exactly the right time and I chose to seize them.  Somehow everything lined up for me which made getting to my goal much easier than I anticipated.  I left a very comfortable job in corporate America to continue my education.  I had no idea how I would support myself... I just believed that everything would work out in my favor.  Guess what?  I got a paid internship, and 2 writing tutor jobs that gave me a decent income.
We often don't seize opportunities when presented to us, only to have them pass us by and it is only later on that we realize that we missed out on once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!!
As the saying goes, "carpe diem".    You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by embracing the uncertainty and taking those first action steps!!

Stay positive,
Stay true to you!

Sue

1 comment: